Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wednesday Review: A Flawed Jewel by Dawn Brower

I won this from an event I attended, and was so very happy to receive it! Dawn Brower has a unique writing flair, one that draws you in and holds you until the story is done. Wait, the story is done? But… Aha! There’s more to the series. Whew. Wait, more? I must get these!

My Review:

Dawn Brower weaves a tale of a lady and a pirate in A Flawed Jewel. You start as the Lady Pia boards a ship bound for France and her grandfather’s estate. You follow her journey as she is kidnapped and falls for the handsome Thor, the pirate determined to make her grandfather pay for wrongs done.

Romance has these wonderfully predictable plot points, and Dawn Brower covers many of them in this offering. A beautiful maid, and handsome rogue, odd circumstances, and a happily ever after. The reader is indeed pulled into the plot, and the character building is there.

What bugs me, in this day and age, is the continuous use of kidnapping by authors. The maid always falls for her kidnapper, and he for her. Because its romantic, right? It really shouldn’t be, and the use of this, even in today’s society, irks me to no end. Kidnapping is serious business, and I truly wish it would be made as serious in novels, rather than the romantic fantasies so many fall into. Stockholm syndrome is real, and should not be pushed off as something to be ignored.

However, for my rating, I am ignoring the kidnapping and focusing on the story as a whole. I was indeed surprised at the end, which made me smile. I like having emotions as I read. There are some sections where I am sure a word should have been added in, or a sentence that was cut off too soon. All in all, I give this four out of five stars. I do look forward to reading more of the series.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a fairly typical historical romance, especially romances featuring pirates. Thor is definitely going to be visiting me tonight in my dreams!

Blogger’s Notes:

Dawn Brower did exceed my expectations, in spite of using the kidnapping. She did make it work for the story, and I am genuinely excited to read the next in the series. If you are going to be offended by the kidnapping thing, stay away, otherwise join this fab artist as she weaves her tale around your dreams.

Buy Links:


Amazon

Author Links:


Facebook

Twitter

Goodreads

Amazon

Newsletter

Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment