Saturday, May 16, 2015

Q&A Saturday - 5-16-15

Saturdays are Q&A day around here, and something I always look forward too! This Saturday is no different. Let me get straight to it.

Sheri asks: “What inspires you to write?”

Wow, that’s not an easy question to answer, because my inspiration truly comes from many places.

When I was younger (high school), my inspiration came from life experiences. I wrote poetry and used my memories and love life as the source. If you knew me then, you’d know that my love life was way more mature than the average teens. I feel sorry for my father. I was rarely without a boyfriend, though I had few friends. It was this chaos that fueled my creativity.

Unfortunately, I got married right out of high school, and the man I married wouldn’t allow me any privacy to write. He didn’t like my writing, it was the one thing he couldn’t control. So he kept me from the quiet time I needed.

That changed in 2006 when he and I divorced. I finally had free time, and a HUGE source of pain. He eventually ended up with custody of my son (I’ll spare you the details) and I started roleplaying. My first character, in fact, was based off of myself, though I fudged a few details. I mean, I can’t really make things levitate, can I?

Roleplaying reminded me of a story idea. The reminder was enough to help me remember more things; bad, bad memories of the past. More pain to fuel the nightmares that followed. It seemed that one character was always the same: an adult male. This adult male became a combination of many different memories and grew to become a character: Raven. Raven is the head Demon of Nightmares. He strives to take over Earth realm, and this is so very little we can do to save ourselves.

What drives me to write is even more simple: My children. I want to do something, BE something, they can be proud of. I also want to be the proof that you can dream for the stars, and even play tag with them.

Wow, that was a bigger answer than I ever thought it would be! Do you have a question? Ask it in the comments below and maybe I’ll feature YOUR question next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment